- Step 1: Peel the potatoes and soak them for at least 30 minutes to wash away excess starch.
- Step 2: Fill your saucepan half full of oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Step 3: Dry the potatoes. Slice them about 1/8 of an inch thick.
- TIP: Make sure your potatoes are dry or they'll splatter in the fryer.
- Step 4: Add potatoes to the pan in small batches.
- Step 5: Fry for about three minutes or until golden brown.
- Step 6: Remove the cooked chips with a slotted spoon and set them on paper towels to drain.
- Step 7: Sprinkle with salt and watch them disappear.
- FACT: Did you know? Legend says that potato chips were invented by a disgruntled chef responding to a customer’s suggestion that his potatoes were too thick.
You Will Need
- Four potatoes
- A heavy saucepan
- Peanut oil
- Paper towels
- A slotted spoon