- Step 1: Set aside time Set aside at least an hour to try on a variety of suits. You might be surprised by what works best, so don't reject any style outright.
- Step 2: If pear-shaped If you're pear-shaped—your bottom is bigger than your top—separates are a good choice. Strapless or halter tops in fun prints can be paired with a solid bottom. This draws attention to shoulders and away from hips and thighs.
- TIP: Steer clear of boy shorts if you're pear-shaped. They tend to make hips look wider.
- Step 3: If apple-shaped Apple-shaped gals—those with thicker waists and some tummy—can give the illusion of a slimmer midsection in a control one-piece with shirring around the waist. If you prefer a two-piece, try retro high-waisted bikini bottoms.
- Step 4: If top heavy If you have a full bust, make sure you're properly supported—you might need underwire, fuller straps, and extra claps. A suit or bikini bottoms with a decorative element—like bows or ties—on the hips will create the impression of an hour-glass figure.
- Step 5: If long torso Break up a long torso with a patterned bikini. Skip the solid-color one-pieces, which will make short legs look even shorter.
- Step 6: If short Height-challenged? A one-piece in a solid color with a plunging neckline will lengthen the body. A high-cut leg is also a flattering option.
- TIP: If you're pale-skinned, consider getting a fake tan the day before you try on swimwear—it will help your body look thinner and more toned, making the process more enjoyable.
- Step 7: If uncurvy Athletic and boyish bodies can benefit from a push-up bikini top, which helps create curves. Ruffles and frills around the bust and hips also will add fullness, and boy shorts will make hips look curvier.
- Step 8: Celebrate Admire your new suit, and give yourself a pat on the back for your perseverance. Now go out there and celebrate the sun, the surf, and your own beautiful body!
- FACT: The average American woman tries on ten swimsuits before buying one.
You Will Need
- Time to shop
- And an eye for your own beauty