- Step 1: Line up and hike Line up your team and have the center hike the ball.
- Step 2: Drop back to pass Drop back to pass the ball.
- Step 3: Send one receiver mid-distance Have one receiver run down the sideline roughly 10 yards then turn toward the center of the field -- or 'hook.'
- Step 4: Send another receiver behind the first Simultaneously, have another receiver run at full speed just behind and outside the first.
- Step 5: Throw the ball Throw to the first receiver.
- Step 6: Have the receiver lateral the ball Have the receiver immediately lateral the ball outside to the streaking second receiver.
- TIP: Timing is everything on this play. If the second receiver is too early, it’ll be impossible to lateral. If he’s too late, the misdirection won’t work.
- Step 7: Block as needed Have the first receiver block as needed.
- FACT: The play was originally (and still is occasionally) called the 'hook and lateral.'
You Will Need
- To be desperate enough to try a trick play
- Offensive possession
- Two receivers