- Step 1: Think big Always get the largest enclosure you can afford, even if your pet is tiny. Just like larger animals, 'pocket pets' need plenty of space to roam around.
- Step 2: Consider categories Keep in mind that small-pet cages fall into three main categories: Glass aquariums with wire covers, wire cages, and plastic habitats.
- Step 3: Choose glass aquarium for larger pets If you have a 'larger' small pet, such as a rat or teddy-bear hamster, consider a glass aquarium that’s 20 gallons or bigger. These provide enough room to run around, with space for toys and exercise wheels.
- TIP: A rat will adore a two-level ferret cage, if you can afford it.
- Step 4: Consider wire cage If you’re looking for something inexpensive and easy to find, go for a wire cage with a plastic tray bottom. The tray makes the cage easy to clean.
- Step 5: Make sure bottom is solid If you select a wire cage, make sure that it has a solid bottom that can hold bedding and is comfortable for your pet to walk on.
- Step 6: Check cage’s bars A mouse can squeeze through an opening no wider than a pencil. So if you choose a wire cage for a mouse, make sure the cage’s bars are close enough together to contain the little critter.
- Step 7: Consider plastic habitat For gerbils, mice, and hamsters, consider a plastic habitat with tubes and tunnels--but keep in mind that these cages are more expensive and a bit harder to clean.
- TIP: Small animals are surprisingly good climbers and escape artists. Make sure to put covers securely on aquariums and to fasten doors and latches of wire cages and plastic habitats.
- Step 8: Get an exercise wheel All rodents, big and small, love exercise wheels. Make sure your cage is big enough to hold the right-sized wheel for your little friend.
- Step 9: Set your pet up Lug the cage home and set up your pet in his nice new habitat!
- FACT: Rearranging your small pet’s cage will prevent him from getting bored.
You Will Need
- Small-pet books
- and websites for research
- A pet-supply store
- either real or online