- Step 1: Soak washcloth Soak the washcloth in cool water and wring it out until it's just damp.
- Step 2: Wrap around finger Wrap the damp cloth around your finger.
- Step 3: Swipe gums Gently run the cloth over the surface of your baby's gums. Make sure to swipe both the upper and lower surfaces.
- TIP: You shouldn't have any trouble squeezing your finger past your baby's lips, but if you do, try tickling her lower lip. This should induce her to open wide.
- Step 4: Repeat process Repeat this process a couple times a day, preferably after feedings. Getting your baby used to the sensation can make brushing her teeth easier down the road for both of you.
- FACT: At birth, a baby has 20 primary teeth just below the surface of her gums.
You Will Need
- A baby with a toothless grin
- A washcloth
- And some cool water