- Step 1: Wash with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner Use volumizing shampoo and conditioner when you wash your hair – they won't weigh down your hair, and they'll make hair much easier to style.
- Step 2: Use a root lifter before blow drying While your hair's still wet, apply a root lifter. Massage it gently into the scalp.
- Step 3: Lift hair up while you blow dry Use your fingers or a rounded brush to lift hair up and away from the scalp as you blow dry.
- TIP: Don't flip your head over while blow-drying – it will make your hairstyle look wider, but not necessarily full-bodied.
- Step 4: Use a curling iron or curlers to add more fullness While your hair is still slightly damp, create waves and curls with a curling iron.
- Step 5: Back brush your hair Use a flat-backed brush to brush the opposite way your hair grows. This creates volume from root to tip, and is healthier for your hair than teasing with a comb.
- Step 6: Mist your hair with a flexible hold hairspray Lightly mist with a flexible hold hairspray to secure your strands in place. Avoid using gels, mousse, or heavy hairsprays, which will only weigh down your locks.
- FACT: The average diameter of fine hair is equal to half the thickness of a sheet of paper.
You Will Need
- Volumizing shampoo
- Volumizing conditioner
- Root lifter
- Blow dryer
- Curling iron or curlers
- Flat-backed brush