- Step 1: Wash with shampoo Use a moisturizing shampoo designed for thick hair. Wash your hair only every two to three days.
- Step 2: Rinse with warm water Rinse out thoroughly with warm water, and gently squeeze out excess water.
- TIP: Avoid washing hair or showering in very hot water – it will deplete natural oils and leave your hair frizzy and dry.
- Step 3: Use a protein-rich conditioner Follow up with a protein-rich conditioner. Apply from root to tip and leave in for at least five to 10 minutes before rinsing out with warm water.
- Step 4: Gently towel-dry your hair Blot with a clean, dry towel.
- Step 5: Infuse the curls with a hot oil treatment Warm up 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the microwave, then massage it into the scalp. Continue massaging the oil through the strands so that they're evenly coated.
- Step 6: Wrap the hair in a warm towel Soak a towel in a bowl of hot water for two to three minutes, wring it dry, and then wrap your hair in the towel. Leave on for five to 10 minutes ¬¬– the heat helps the oil soak into the scalp.
- Step 7: Rinse hair thoroughly Rinse out the oil with warm water until the water runs clear and you don't feel any residue on your strands or scalp.
- Step 8: Gently towel-dry your hair Blot hair with a clean, dry towel.
- Step 9: Use a leave-in Apply a leave-in conditioner to damp hair, massaging it thoroughly from the scalp out to the tips of your hair. Shape curls as you go.
- Step 10: Air dry hair Let your hair air dry. If you must use a blow dryer, try a diffuser on a low heat setting. When your hair is dry, admire your curls' bounce and shine!
- FACT: Hair is made of a protein called keratin, the same compound that nails are made of.
You Will Need
- Moisturizing shampoo
- Protein-rich conditioner
- A bowl
- Olive oil
- Leave-in conditioner