- : Before you begin, have your vet check that your dog doesn't have hip or orthopedic problems that begging could aggravate.
- Step 1: Tell your dog to sit and to stay. Keep them in that position for a few moments.
- Step 2: With your dog in the sit–stay position, hold a treat above the dog's nose and say, "Beg."
- TIP: Give all commands in a strong, assertive voice. Don't hit or yell at your dog for not responding properly.
- Step 3: Correct the dog if they jump for the treat. Pull the treat away and firmly say, "No."
- TIP: Training sessions should be no longer than 15 minutes.
- Step 4: Give the dog praise and a treat when they respond to "Beg" by sitting on their hind legs and balancing with both paws up.
- TIP: Help your dog balance by supporting their back with your hand if they need extra help.
- Step 5: Practice the new trick. Your dog will be eager to show it off!
- FACT: Sweet Pea, a border collie and German shepherd mix, holds a Guinness record for jumping rope 75 times in one minute.
You Will Need
- A dog that can sit and stay on command
- Dog treats