- Step 1: Invest in quality Prepare to pay for a quality headshot from a professional photographer. It’s the first thing a casting director or agent sees.
- Step 2: Find the right photographer Research the right photographer for you. Look for someone with experience and see examples of their work.
- Step 3: Look like yourself Keep your look natural. For women, keep make-up neutral and not too heavy. Wear simple jewelry. Men should be clean-cut.
- TIP: Avoid distracting backgrounds. The focus should be on your face.
- Step 4: Bring changes of clothes Bring two changes of clothing in solid colors, including a business suit. Wear colors that complement your face. Wear clean, pressed, and comfortable clothes.
- TIP: Avoid bright colors. Black is always a good choice.
- Step 5: Bring examples Show your photographer headshots or magazine pictures with the look you want.
- TIP: Relax. If you’re not comfortable in a pose, it’ll show in the photo.
- Step 6: Pick the right shots Have the photographer take one commercial and one theatrical headshot. Have a neutral third party offer an unbiased opinion.
- FACT: The first professional digital camera was released in 1991.
You Will Need
- 2 upscale outfits
- 2 casual outfits in solid colors
- A business suit
- Other headshots or pictures from magazines (optional) (optional)