- Step 1: Apprentice for pros Start as a photographer's assistant or apprentice to get on-the-job training and become acquainted with the equipment and people in the field.
- Step 2: Love, study, practice Study fashion trends and compositions of setting, background, light, and model type.
- TIP: Pursue a photography degree.
- Step 3: Compile a portfolio Get a camera, editing equipment, and software, and take pictures at every opportunity. Showcase a body of work that demonstrates a stylistic or thematic thread.
- Step 4: Get a job Apply for work and begin contracting. Develop a good rapport with clients, subjects, agents, and executives.
- Step 5: Prepare your shoots Plan to efficiently cover all the attitudes and postures you want. Being organized will save clients money and enhance your reputation.
- Step 6: Find an agent Find an agent who doesn't handle another photographer with a similar style.
- Step 7: Exhibit work Exhibit your work independently at shows or fine arts galleries. Single out galleries that understand your work and your style.
- FACT: Employment in the photography field is expected to rise 10 percent by 2016.
You Will Need
- A camera
- Editing equipment
- Editing software
- A portfolio
- Professional contacts
- A love of clothing
- A studio (optional)
- An agent (optional)