- Step 1: Look for signs they feel the same way Look for signs your friend feels the same way – like stealing glances at you when they don't think you'll notice, or touching you on the arm or shoulder when they're speaking to you.
- TIP: If their pupils become bigger when they look into your eyes, it means they're physically attracted to you. That's one sign they can't hide!
- Step 2: Drop some hints Give them some clear openings. For instance, if they're complaining about a bad date, make a joke that maybe you two should be dating instead.
- TIP: If your best friend is the same sex and straight, it's probably best to keep your crush to yourself.
- Step 3: Weigh the risk Weigh the risk of confiding your feelings. If your BFF doesn't feel the same way, would the friendship become too awkward to continue?
- Step 4: Consider timing Consider timing, too: Are they free to return your feelings, or are they involved with someone else? If they're dating someone, examine whether your crush is sincere or is coming from jealousy over the relationship.
- TIP: Never kiss them out of the blue. If they don't share your feelings, they might feel too uncomfortable to continue the friendship.
- Step 5: Tell them how you feel If you decide to tell them how you feel, be casual. Say something like, "I had a huge crush on you in grade school," and see how they react. Make it more of an offhand remark than a confession.
- Step 6: Accept whatever happens Be prepared for their reaction. If they say, "Wow – that would never work," or laugh hysterically, change the subject and don't bring it up again. If you're already kissing, well, congratulations!
- Step 7: Take a step back If your feelings are not returned and it hurts to be around them, consider putting some distance between you two for a while. It will put you in a better place to meet someone who will love you back, at which time you might be ready to resume the friendship.
- FACT: Did you know?People know if they're romantically interested in someone within the first 15 minutes of meeting them!
You Will Need
- A keen eye