- Step 1: Cook potatoes Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until you can push a fork in with slight resistance.
- Step 2: Boil potatoes Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, add water to cover them completely, and bring to a boil.
- Step 3: Drain and cool Remove the potatoes from heat and drain. Let them cool until you can handle them.
- Step 4: Shred Shred the cooled potatoes on the large-hole side of the box grater. You can leave the skins in or pick them out.
- Step 5: Melt butter Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in skillet.
- Step 6: Add potatoes Add the shredded potatoes to the skillet. Press down with a spatula for even cooking.
- Step 7: Cook until brown Cook until the bottom side is crispy and brown, about 10 minutes. Then, flip the potatoes and brown the other side. Add extra butter if needed.
- TIP: Lower the heat if your potatoes are browning too quickly.
- Step 8: Drain, season, and serve Remove the potatoes and let them drain on paper towels. Add a dash of salt and pepper, and serve your hash browns warm.
- FACT: Did you know? The average American ate about 126 pounds of potatoes in 2006.
You Will Need
- 1 1/2 lb. potatoes
- 4 to 6 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- Large saucepan
- Box grater
- Large nonstick skillet
- Paper towels