- Step 1: Take photography courses Enroll in photography classes to learn how to operate a camera and compose shots. Consider earning a fine arts degree with a photography concentration.
- Step 2: Express your vision Experiment with lighting to give each of your photographs a personal signature.
- TIP: Take several pictures of each subject. You're more likely to capture the image you want.
- Step 3: Observe the world Observe your surroundings for inspiration. Find a way to capture your vision of the world.
- Step 4: Create a portfolio Choose seven to 15 of your best pieces and create a portfolio. Show your work to media outlets that publish photographs.
- Step 5: Exhibit your work Submit your portfolio to galleries. Gallery showings will allow you to network and to sell your art – which is key to actually making a living!
- FACT: Did you know? Camera obscura refers to using light to capture an image and projecting it onto a canvas to be traced.
You Will Need
- A camera
- Film or memory cards
- An observant eye
- A vision