- Step 1: Take apart your dress and use the fabric by sewing the material into throw pillows, chair covers, or a runner.
- TIP: Simple pillow patterns are available online.
- Step 2: Sell the dress at a consignment shop, online, or at a garage sale.
- Step 3: Donate your dress to a high school’s prom dress charity. Other charities and local thrift shops also accept special occasion dresses.
- TIP: Check online to find local dress donation drives.
- Step 4: Shorten it to a cocktail dress or alter it into a blouse or simple skirt. If these projects are beyond your skill, hire a seamstress to do the alterations.
- Step 5: Lend the dress to a younger sibling or relative for a school dance.
- Step 6: Wear an old bridesmaid dress as part of a Halloween costume. Be a proper Southern belle or rip the dress and go as a prom queen zombie.
- FACT: Did you know? Historically, bridesmaids protected the bride against evil spirits by wearing similar clothing to confuse them.
You Will Need
- A used bridesmaid dress