- : Working with electricity is dangerous. If you have any doubts, contact a professional.
- Step 1: Turn off power to the circuit Turn off the power to the circuit you will be working on. This is usually done at the breaker box.
- Step 2: Remove the old light fixture Carefully remove the old light fixture using a screwdriver. Pay close attention to the existing wiring connections.
- TIP: Make a quick sketch or take a digital photo of the wiring connections for reference while you’re installing the new fixture.
- Step 3: Assemble the new light fixture Assemble the new light fixture following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Step 4: Install a mounting strap, if needed Install a new mounting strap, if needed. Screw the new strap into place on the junction box in the ceiling.
- Step 5: Connect the wiring Connect the wiring between the fixture and the junction box, matching black wires with black wires and white wires with white wires. Twist the ends together with a wire nut.
- Step 6: Hang the light fixture Carefully tuck the wires back into the junction box and mount the fixture to the ceiling, according to the instructions.
- TIP: Be sure the light hangs at an appropriate height.
- Step 7: Turn power back on Turn the power to the circuit back on and bask in the glow of your beautiful new light fixture.
- FACT: Did you know?Electricity travels at 186,000 miles per second
You Will Need
- A screwdriver
- A pen and paper
- A new light fixture
- Mounting hardware
- Wire nuts
- A mounting strap (optional) (optional)