- Step 1: Learn requirements Talk to a counselor and visit websites to learn about different schools, courses of study, and careers for interior designers.
- Step 2: Get a degree Complete a degree program in interior design.
- Step 3: Gain experience Get experience through internships or apprenticeships. The apprenticeship period lasts one to three years.
- TIP: Networking will open doors down the road.
- Step 4: Get certified Pass the National Council for Interior Design Qualification exam.
- Step 5: Get your license Obtain your license by meeting state and country requirements. Learn state requirements by going to their official web sites.
- FACT: Did you know? Twenty-six percent of interior designers are self-employed.
You Will Need
- A degree
- A license