- Step 1: Avoid kissing, which can transmit the virus. Mononucelosis, often called mono, is sometimes known as the kissing disease.
- Step 2: Avoid any contact with the saliva or mucus of an infected person. Mono can also be spread by coughing or sneezing.
- TIP: Mononucleosis is most contagious during the incubation period before symptoms appear.
- Step 3: Wash your hands thoroughly, several times a day.
- Step 4: Avoid sharing your food and use your own utensils. Taking a bite from someone else's food is also a no-no.
- Step 5: Drink from your own straw or glass. Mono can be spread by sharing a drink with someone.
- Step 6: Avoid close contact with anyone who may have mono.
- FACT: Did you know? Almost 50 percent of people with mono get enlarged spleens of up to two to three times their normal size.
You Will Need
- To avoid kissing
- Clean hands
- Your own utensils