- Step 1: Determine budget Decide how much you are willing to spend. The easiest way to narrow your options is by picking a price range and sticking to it.
- Step 2: Choose a recording format Choose a recording format. Camcorders can record to miniDV tape, DVD, memory cards, or a built-in hard-drive. Each format has its pros and cons.
- TIP: Consider a high-definition camcorder if you have a high-definition television.
- Step 3: Determine the features you need Determine what features you really need. Do you want a simple point-and-shoot camcorder or one with extra features to give you more control?
- Step 4: Choose a size Choose the size you want. Smaller camcorders are easier to carry around, but may be of lower quality and have fewer features.
- Step 5: Go shopping Shop around at stores and online outlets to get the best price for what you want.
- TIP: Look for stores that offer discounts or coupons on accessories.
- Step 6: Buy the camcorder Buy the camcorder and accessories, such as an extra battery, a camera bag, and a tripod.
- Step 7: Capture a lifetime of memories Capture memories of your family and friends to relive and enjoy the rest of your life.
- FACT: Did you know? The first camcorders were introduced in 1982. Before then, the video camera and recorder were two separate devices hooked together.
You Will Need