- Step 1: Use a large plastic cup to remove water from the tank to a large bowl. Scoop fish from the dirty tank and put them in the bowl.
- Step 2: Turn off the filter on your fish tank. Remove half of the dirty water using a cup, and dump it into a sink.
- TIP: Change about one quarter of the water in the tank every two weeks to keep the algae levels low.
- Step 3: Clean the inside of the tank with an algae scrubber. Rinse and scrub until the glass is clean.
- Step 4: Scoop out the rest of the water until you get to the gravel at the bottom of the tank.
- TIP: Replace the gravel only if absolutely necessary. The fish need a stable environment, so some remaining bacteria is good for them.
- Step 5: Refill the tank with clean water and restart the filter. Let the filter run for about an hour.
- Step 6: Scoop your fish from the bowl to the tank, and let them enjoy their newly cleaned home.
- FACT: Did you know? Scientists discovered the world's smallest fish in Indonesia. A member of the carp family, it's less than eight millimeters long.
You Will Need
- A large plastic cup
- A large bowl
- A scooping net
- A sink
- An algae scrubber
- Clean gravel (optional)