- Step 1: Research look Find photos of liberty spikes and pick your desired look. Spikes can range from short darts to long barbs, with varying lengths and thickness.
- Step 2: Grow hair Let your hair grow to workable length. Hair should fall below your eyes in front and past your shoulders in the back.
- Step 3: Section hair Divide dry hair into consistent sections and fasten with hair clips or ponytail holders.
- TIP: Get help during the styling process.
- Step 4: Apply product Liberally apply extreme hold hairspray to the first section. Start at the bottom near the scalp and work your way up.
- TIP: You can also use egg whites or dissolved gelatin.
- Step 5: Blow dry spike Blow dry each spike as you form it, keeping the blow dryer close to your hair, until the styling product is tacky. Form and blow dry more spikes over your entire head at various angles, making sure all tips are pointy.
- TIP: Proportion is key. If the spike is 8 inches long, the base should be about 2 inches in diameter.
- Step 6: Blow dry Blow dry your entire head once all the spikes are up.
- FACT: Did you know? Liberty spikes are named after their likeness to the spikes on the Statue of Liberty’s crown.
You Will Need
- Super hold hairspray
- Hair clips or ponytail holders
- A blow dryer
- A punk attitude
- Egg whites (optional)
- Dissolved gelatin (optional)
- Hair dye (optional)