- Step 1: Meet in public Meet in a public place with plenty of other people around.
- TIP: Meet during the daytime.
- Step 2: Drive yourself Drive yourself to the date. Don't rely on the other person to give you a ride.
- Step 3: Tell friends Tell a friend where you're going to be and for how long, and keep your cell phone with you.
- Step 4: Be prepared Be prepared to meet someone who looks different than you expected. If your date misled you about their looks, you might not be able to trust them and should rethink dating them.
- TIP: Check for a wedding ring tan line, especially on men. Thirty percent of married men use online dating services.
- Step 5: Refrain from drinking Refrain from drinking too much. Getting drunk on your first date makes a bad impression and can be dangerous.
- Step 6: Be realistic Be realistic. Keep the conversation light, have fun, and don't expect too much from the first date.
- TIP: End the date if something about the other person seems out of place and gives you a bad feeling.
- Step 7: Assess the date Assess the date and decide what your next step should be. If you hit it off, you may want to keep dating. But if you had no chemistry, keep looking for that special someone.
- FACT: Did you know? According to one survey, 12 percent of engaged or married couples meet online.
You Will Need
- A public place to meet
- A friend
- An observant eye
- Realistic expectations