- Step 1: Explain your offense Explain your offense to be sure you and the offended are talking about the same thing.
- Step 2: Acknowledge the hurt Acknowledge that the offended person is hurt, to respect their feelings.
- TIP: Make things easier by bringing a thoughtful gift, such as flowers.
- Step 3: Take responsibility Take responsibility for your actions. Do not get defensive or offer excuses while taking responsibility.
- Step 4: Say you’re sorry Give a genuine apology. The last thing the offended person wants to hear is a bogus apology.
- Step 5: Promise you won’t offend again Promise you will never commit the offending action again, and stand by that promise.
- Step 6: Ask for forgiveness Ask the offended person to forgive you.
- FACT: Did you know? The Apology was Plato’s retelling of Socrates’ speech responding to charges of corrupting youth.
You Will Need
- A conscience
- A gift (optional)