- Step 1: Speak deliberately Speak slowly and deliberately. People who do are seen as more informed on the subject they're expounding on than fast talkers.
- Step 2: Smile Smile more. In one study, participants who were asked to guess a person's intelligence simply by looking at their picture rated those who were smiling as smarter than those who weren't smiling.
- Step 3: Use simpler words Don't use an unusual word if a simpler one will suffice. People who use long words unnecessarily can be perceived as less intelligent because it makes them look like they're trying too hard to sound smart.
- TIP: If you speak a foreign language, let it be known. Research indicates that people link being multilingual with intelligence.
- Step 4: Wear navy blue Wear navy blue. One study indicated that people in dark blue are assumed to be more knowledgeable, successful, and dependable than those wearing other colors.
- TIP: Women should dress conservatively at work. Even marginally revealing clothing can make people perceive female employees as less intelligent and competent, according to one study.
- Step 5: Listen up Do more listening than talking. People who do are perceived as being intelligent and interesting by the people who are blathering to them. Remember this proverb: Better to keep quiet and be suspected a fool than to open your mouth and confirm the suspicion.
- FACT: Did you know?The average American IQ has increased every year for the past 100 years; one expert claims half the population in 1917 would be considered mentally challenged by today's standards!
You Will Need
- A slowed rate of speech
- A smile
- Simple language
- Dark blue clothing
- An ability to listen more than talk
- A foreign language (optional)
- Conservative dress (optional)