- Step 1: Visually distract from the roundness of your torso with deep V-neck tunics, blouses with asymmetrical bottoms, and wrap-around sweaters. Avoid turtlenecks and busy patterns.
- TIP: Don't wear tops shorter than your hipbone.
- Step 2: Elongate your figure with sheath dresses that come with a matching long coat or jacket. Empire-waist dresses are also flattering.
- Step 3: Wear tailored jackets that nip in at the middle, and leave them unbuttoned. This will create the illusion of a waist.
- TIP: Choose jackets that are the length of your fingertips when your arms are at your side.
- Step 4: Choose trousers and skirts whose zipper is on the side or the back to avoid calling attention to your stomach.
- Step 5: Wear belts that define your waist, like belts around coats and dresses, but avoid them on pants, since they can add bulk to your waist. Look for low-waisted skirts and pants, which cut across the stomach making it look half its size.
- Step 6: Favor one-piece swimsuits, which are good at camouflaging a round torso. Try a surplice style, which is a wraparound bodice. It helps minimize a large stomach.
- FACT: The record holder for the world's smallest waist measures just 15 inches, approximately the circumference of a regular jar of mayonnaise.
You Will Need
- Clothes that elongate your figure
- One-piece swimsuits