- Step 1: Confront your most challenging work during times when you are most alert and energetic. Some people work best in the morning, others in the afternoon. If you don’t already know your most productive time, start paying attention to your body rhythms.
- Step 2: Take short breaks to refresh yourself and sharpen your focus.
- Step 3: Eliminate distractions when you need to focus on time-sensitive material. Send calls directly to voicemail, ignore e-mails, and avoid chats with coworkers until you've completed your task.
- TIP: Some people work best with low-volume background music.
- Step 4: Set daily goals and use a to-do list, adding to it as needed and crossing out what you complete.
- TIP: Start with what you like the least, so you have more enjoyable tasks to look forward to later in the day, when you tend to be tired.
- Step 5: Exercise each day. This will help you sleep better at night and boost energy overall.
- Step 6: Get plenty of rest each night – set a minimum number of hours that you need and stick with it.
- FACT: An average worker today produces as much in 11 hours as a worker in 1950 produced in 40 hours.
You Will Need
- A work environment free of distraction
- A daily to-do list
- Motivational CDs or audio tapes
- Exercise time
- Background music (optional)