- Step 1: Pick up baby Pick up the baby by sliding one hand under her neck and head and the other under her hips and bottom, spreading your fingers, and lifting her to your chest.
- TIP: It's always easiest to cradle hold a baby who's been swaddled.
- Step 2: Position arms Gently slide the hand supporting her head and neck down along her back, allowing her head and neck to slide along your forearm and nestle into the crook of your arm.
- Step 3: Give support Continue cupping her hips and bottom in your other hand, with your fingers spread to give her the most support.
- Step 4: Bring close to body Bring her close to your body, and lose yourself in those baby blues—or browns—or greens—or grays...
- FACT: Newborns can see only about 8 to 15 inches away—meaning they can just clearly make out the face of the person holding them.
You Will Need
- Clean hands
- And a baby to hold