- Step 1: Wear darker colors on bottom to slim your hips and thighs.
- Step 2: Draw attention to the upper half of your body with boatneck tops, patterned or beaded necklines, scarves, chunky necklaces, or a shawl.
- TIP: Moderate-size shoulder pads can help balance your figure.
- Step 3: Select dresses with Empire waists; the fabric will float right over your widest part. Avoid bias-cut skirts and dresses.
- Step 4: Choose jackets that fall just below your upper thighs, with large lapels or an unusual neckline that draws the eye up. Opt for tailored over boxy.
- TIP: Wear jackets that are just a little oversized. A roomy top will de-emphasize your bottom.
- Step 5: Wear boot-cut, flared, or wide-legged pants to offset your hips, and look for pants and skirts with a lower waistband. Avoid side pockets – they add bulk where you least need it.
- Step 6: Know you're not alone. The average American woman has 42-inch hips.
- FACT: Men with fuller-figure partners are less likely to stray than those with slim partners, according to one study.
You Will Need
- Dark pants and skirts
- Visually interesting tops
- Empire waists
- Three-quarter length tailored jackets
- Wide-leg jeans and trousers
- Shoulder pads (optional)