- Step 1: Pour an ounce or two of absinthe into a tall, heavy, thick-stemmed glass, like a parfait glass.
- Step 2: Place an absinthe spoon – a flat, metal, slotted spoon – across the rim of the glass.
- Step 3: Put a sugar cube on the slots of the spoon.
- Step 4: Slowly drip three to six ounces of cold spring water over the sugar cube until the sugar is dissolved. The absinthe will turn from transparent green to a cloudy green or yellow.
- TIP: Some people dip the sugar cube in absinthe and set the cube on fire before dousing it with ice water.
- Step 5: Stir with the slotted spoon and enjoy.
- FACT: Governments around the world banned absinthe in the early 20th century because it was thought to cause madness.
You Will Need
- A jigger
- A parfait glass
- A slotted spoon
- A sugar cube
- Ice-cold spring water
- A lighter or match (optional)