- Step 1: Don't panic Don't panic. Stay calm and let your knowledge, not your instincts, direct your actions.
- Step 2: Slow down Immediately take your foot off the gas; then apply light braking.
- TIP: Lightly tap standard brakes; for anti-lock brakes, apply steady pressure to the brake pedal. The anti-lock brakes will pulse automatically.
- Step 3: Turn into the skid Turn the steering wheel in the same direction you are skidding, whether your back or front wheels are sliding. Ignore the impulse to steer the other way.
- TIP: Turn the wheel slowly and steadily to avoid over-steering and starting a new skid or spinout.
- Step 4: Return to your original course Regain control of your car, and carefully return to your original course.
- FACT: The SSC Ultimate Aero is rated the fastest car in the world, at a top speed of 257 miles per hour. It sells for $654,400.
You Will Need
- Steady nerves
- Quick reflexes