- Step 1: Stand with your back to the wind, at least a few feet away from your car. Hold the flare near its base.d
- TIP: Select red-colored flares. They stand out and are most commonly used to signal an emergency
- Step 2: Remove the plastic lid on the flare with your other hand to expose the igniter.
- Step 3: Place your thumb under the striker cap and flip it up to expose the striker.
- Step 4: Rub the striker against the igniter to spark a flame. Keep the flare aimed away from your face at all times.
- Step 5: Hold the lit flare at arm's length, or use a flare holder to stand the flare upright. Most road flares will burn for 30 minutes to an hour.
- FACT: A colored flare that is used on the road is technically known as a "fusee."
You Will Need
- A road flare
- A flare holder (optional)