- Step 1: Lay down the ground tarp Find a clear, flat area to pitch your tent. Remove any rocks and debris, and then lay down the ground tarp.
- Step 2: Unfold the tent Unfold the tent on top of the ground tarp, with the door facing in the desired direction. Make sure all zippers are closed, except the door zipper. Set aside the rain fly.
- Step 3: Assemble the poles Assemble the poles according to instructions. In many cases, you can just shake the pole sections into place.
- Step 4: Insert the poles into the appropriate sleeves Push the poles through the fabric sleeves, taking care not to have the poles separate.
- Step 5: Insert one pole into its pockets Take one of the poles and place it into a corner pocket. Insert the other end of the pole into the pocket on the opposite corner of the tent. Repeat with the second pole. You may need another person to help with this.
- TIP: The two poles should cross, forming an 'X' in the center of the tent.
- Step 6: Set up the rain fly If rain is a possibility, set up the rain fly by pushing its pole into its fabric sleeve. Place the ends into the center pockets on the underside of the rain fly. Attach the fly to the pole with the ties provided.
- Step 7: Check your ground tarp Check your ground tarp. If it extends beyond the tent, roll the excess tarp under the tent so water doesn’t pool if it rains.
- Step 8: Secure the tent Secure the tent by staking down the sides wherever you find stake holders.
- FACT: The lightest tent available to consumers is the Laser Photon from Terra Nova, which weighs less than 28 ounces.
You Will Need
- A dome tent
- A ground tarp