- Step 1: Get a makeover Prepare to meet new people by treating yourself to a makeover. Buy some new clothes, update your hairstyle, whiten your teeth, pump some iron. It's easier to socialize when you feel good about yourself.
- TIP: Take up jogging. You'll get in shape and run into new people all the time, literally!
- Step 2: Make new friends Make some new friends, especially if all your old ones are married or still socializing with your ex. It will be easier for you to let your hair down among new acquaintances. Join a club, take a course, become a volunteer, and talk to people wherever you go.
- TIP: Find someone who's willing to act as your wing person when you go out, especially if you're shy.
- Step 3: Force yourself out Force yourself to go out at least once a week, even when you don't feel like it. Otherwise, it's too easy to hibernate, and the longer you wait to start socializing as a single, the harder it may become.
- Step 4: Don't use kids as an excuse If you have children, don't use them as an excuse to stay home every night. They won't be around to keep you company forever, and having a hermit for a mom or dad is not healthy.
- TIP: Don't introduce any romantic possibility to your children until you become seriously involved with them.
- Step 5: Leave your comfort zone Go solo on occasion, whether it's eating alone in a restaurant or going on vacation by yourself. It can be easier to meet people, since strangers will be less shy about talking to you.
- TIP: Eating dinner at the bar of a popular restaurant is a terrific way to strike up conversations with people.
- Step 6: Keep your options open When you begin dating, keep your options open. You just got out of a relationship; make sure that this time around you know what you really want.
- FACT: When it comes to married couples over age 40, it's more often the woman who asks for a divorce.
You Will Need
- A makeover
- New friends
- A wing person (optional)