- Step 1: Take classes Take lessons and classes in acting, voice, dance, and movement to hone and practice skills.
- Step 2: Write your acting resume Develop a resume of acting experience. Include professional, amateur, or student productions plus degrees and acting classes.
- Step 3: Get a head shot Get an 8-by-10 photo of yourself done by an experienced professional photographer.
- Step 4: Prepare for auditions Practice reading scripts for stage and screen auditions, and practice singing for musical theater tryouts.
- TIP: Learn how to handle performance anxiety. You'll deal with nerves more effectively if you know what to expect.
- Step 5: Gain experience Go to lots of auditions. If you haven't acted before, start with amateur productions. Then go out for bigger roles.
- TIP: A part-time or day job will allow you to concentrate on acting.
- Step 6: Consider an agent Consider hiring an agent. Agents find work, book auditions, and negotiate contracts for a percentage of the actor's pay.
- FACT: Thespis was the first actor in Greek drama.
You Will Need
- A passion for acting