- : Never change your diet without first consulting your physician.
- Step 1: Look for weight-loss programs Locate and visit weight-loss facilities. Many offer one-stop shopping: coaching, personal training, dietary counseling, and a health club.
- Step 2: Consider special dietary needs Consider food choices and accommodations for any special dietary needs you have.
- TIP: Resist temptation to buy junk food. Keep your pantry stocked with healthy essentials.
- Step 3: Look at exercise program Examine the exercise design -- is it built into the program? If not, are you disciplined enough to be on your own?
- TIP: Ask friends, neighbors, and coworkers to recommend a facility.
- Step 4: Expect professional oversight Choose a program that’s overseen by medical staff or certified nutritionists. Meet with them and discuss your goals.
- Step 5: Check for hidden costs Check for hidden costs, and make sure the program is right for your budget. Choose a facility that is close to your home or work so you’ll be motivated to stick with it.
- FACT: According to a global report, one-third of the most common cancers in the United States could be prevented through diet and exercise.
You Will Need
- Information from weight-loss facilities
- Referrals from friends (optional)