- Step 1: Kneel on all fours Kneel down on your mat on all fours, with your hands aligned directly under your shoulders, fingers spread, and your knees aligned directly under your hips. Stay in this pose for a few full, even breaths.
- Step 2: Step right foot forward Step your right foot forward, placing it between your hands. Your shin should be perpendicular to the mat and your bent knee aligned directly over your heel.
- Step 3: Look straight ahead Brace your right foot against the mat, spread your toes, and look straight ahead, expanding your chest.
- Step 4: Hold position Stay in this position for a few breaths.
- TIP: If this hurts your knee, put a pillow under it.
- Step 5: Raise left leg Brace the toes of your left foot against the floor and raise and straighten your left leg.
- Step 6: Hold pose Hold the pose for several breaths.
- Step 7: Release pose Release the pose by dropping your left knee to the mat and stepping your right foot back to the all fours position.
- Step 8: Repeat pose Step your left foot forward, slide your right foot backward, and repeat the pose on the other side, holding it for as many breaths as you did on the first side.
- Step 9: Release pose Release the pose by dropping your right knee to the mat and stepping your left foot back to the all fours position. Ready, set, go!
- FACT: A German man holds the world record for the fastest "lunge mile," lunging the whole way in 30 minutes and 50 seconds.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded blanket
- A pillow or cushion