- Step 1: Sit on edge of bench Sit on the edge of a bench with your knees and feet together.
- TIP: To add a degree of difficulty and involve more torso muscles, sit on a Swiss ball while doing this lift.
- Step 2: Grasp dumbbells & position elbows Grasp the dumbbells and position your elbows at a 90-degree angle, palms facing each other.
- Step 3: Lift elbows Slowly lift your elbows away from your torso until they reach shoulder height, so that your palms now face the floor.
- TIP: Keep your torso ramrod straight—it focuses the lift on your shoulders, so you don’t use any back muscles to assist the movement.
- Step 4: Lower elbows Slowly lower your elbows to your side.
- Step 5: Repeat Repeat. Keep it up, and you’ll be pushing those shoulders through crowds in no time!
- FACT: This exercise is also called 'beer cans,' because the motion of your arms mimics that of pouring beer out of a can.
You Will Need
- Two lightweight dumbbells between 5 and 15 pounds
- A bench or chair
- Workout clothes
- A Swiss ball (also called a physio ball)