- Step 1: Search the internet Search the internet. There are countless web sites dedicated to helping prisoners find pen pals.
- Step 2: Read the ads Read the prisoners’ ads. Most sites give you personal details about the inmates.
- Step 3: Look for similarities Look for a prisoner with whom you have common interests.
- Step 4: Look for a common end result Choose a prisoner who wants the same thing you do. If you are looking for only a pen pal, make sure the inmate feels the same way. Some are looking for romantic relationships.
- TIP: When writing to the prisoner, make sure you include your intentions in the first letter.
- Step 5: Start writing Start writing. Include personal touches in the letter, but don't reveal too much detailed information about yourself.
- Step 6: Use a P.O. box Supply a P.O. box instead of a physical home address.
- TIP: For your personal safety, and to avoid expensive collect calls, refrain from providing your telephone number.
- Step 7: Mail the letter Mail the letter to the prison. Include the prisoner’s name, their Department of Corrections Number, barrack number, and sufficient postage.
- FACT: As of 2008, U.S. federal, state, and local prisons housed 2.3 million inmates.
You Will Need
- A computer with internet access
- A P.O. box
- A stamp