- Step 1: Get referrals Get referrals from friends, family members, and your family physician.
- Step 2: Ensure the doctor accepts your medical insurance Make sure the doctor accepts your medical insurance.
- Step 3: Determine the hospital affiliation Determine the doctor's hospital affiliation.
- Step 4: Schedule a meeting Schedule a meeting with the doctor before your first physical examination to discuss your medical needs. Take notes.
- TIP: Make sure you feel comfortable with the doctor’s demeanor. You will need to discuss private health issues with the doctor you choose.
- Step 5: Confirm the doctor’s practicing medical procedures Confirm that the doctor performs any procedures you may be seeking.
- Step 6: Verify their membership with ABOG Verify that the doctor you choose is a member of the American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecology at abog.org.
- Step 7: Verify their membership with ABOG Investigate any complaints or disciplinary action taken against them with your state's medical board.
- FACT: Approximately five percent of active physicians in patient care specialize in obstetrics and gynecology.
You Will Need
- Medical insurance
- Initial consultation
- A computer with internet access