- Step 1: Grab jar Grab the base of the jar with one hand. With your other hand, firmly grasp the lid and turn it counter-clockwise.
- TIP: Tap the edge of the lid on the edge of a counter to help break the seal.
- Step 2: Use towel Cover the jar with a towel to get a firmer grip if you cannot open the jar with your bare hand.
- Step 3: Run under water Run hot water over the lid to help dissolve any liquid stuck under the lid.
- Step 4: Use rubber band Wrap a thick rubber band around the lid to get a better grip.
- TIP: Use a couple of thin rubber bands if you can’t find a fat one.
- Step 5: Use wet sponge Use a damp sponge to help you get a tighter grip.
- Step 6: Poke a hole Use a strong kitchen knife or a screwdriver to pierce a hole in the lid. This will release the vacuum inside the jar and make it easier to open.
- FACT: The ancient Mayans drank liquid chocolate from ornate, cylindrical clay jars.
You Will Need
- A strong grip
- A towel
- Rubber bands
- A sponge
- A strong kitchen knife or screwdriver