- Step 1: Get your partner Ask someone to dance and head out to the dance floor.
- Step 2: Signal your partner Signal your partner that you are going to dip her by placing your hand on her upper back and gently lowering her backward.
- TIP: If your partner resists by keeping upright, don’t force it.
- Step 3: Check the area Check the area before you completely lower your partner to make sure it is safe.
- Step 4: Maintain balance Keep your legs apart at hip width. Bring one leg forward and bend it to maintain balance as you lower your partner further back.
- Step 5: Hold the dip Maintain your position as you support her in the dip.
- TIP: Resist the urge to bend forward so that you are leaning over her. You both may fall.
- Step 6: Bring her up Bring her back up gently and don’t forget to thank her for the dance.
- FACT: Ballroom dances like the tango, Lindy Hop, and salsa all use some form of a dip.
You Will Need
- Dance floor