- Step 1: Purchase an external or internal capture card Purchase a capture card. Internal capture cards are installed into the hardware of the computer; external cards plug into the computer via the FireWire or USB ports.
- Step 2: Install the capture card Install or attach the capture card to your computer.
- Step 3: Attach the VCR Connect the VCR to the capture card with the RCA cables.
- Step 4: Insert tape Insert the VHS tape into the VCR.
- Step 5: Open movie-making program Open the movie-making program on your computer.
- Step 6: Capture video Open the capture feature of the video-making program, and capture the footage by pressing play on the VCR and record in the capture window.
- TIP: Capture the best footage by capturing only what you will use later.
- Step 7: Store footage Store your footage to your computer, or to an external drive, since video files take up a lot of computer space.
- FACT: The last major motion picture released on VHS tape was A History of Violence in 2006.
You Will Need
- A capture card
- A computer with movie-making software
- A VCR
- RCA cables
- An external hard drive