- : You may also want to consult a qualified yoga instructor to ensure that you are correctly positioned the first few times you try this pose.
- Step 1: Mountain Pose Stand at the front of your mat with your feet hip-width apart and your weight evenly distributed between them, your spine erect, and your arms at your sides.
- Step 2: Straddle pose Spread your legs two to three feet apart so that you are standing in a straddle pose with your hands on your hips.
- Step 3: Bend over On an exhale, bend at the waist and lower your head toward the floor. Remember to keep your neck relaxed.
- TIP: For a deeper stretch, clasp yours hands behind your back, press your palms together, and lift away from your back as you bend forward.
- Step 4: Place hands on floor Reach yours hands to your feet and place your hands on the floor.
- TIP: If you're comfortable with your hands on the floor, you can deepen the stretch further by grasping your big toes and using your arms to pull toward the floor.
- Step 5: Hold pose Hold the pose for 3 to 5 comfortable breaths.
- Step 6: Release pose Release by returning your hands to your hips and — on an inhale — bending up from the waist, raising your torso.
- FACT: According to a recent Yoga Journal survey, Americans spend nearly $3 billion a year on yoga classes and products.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded blanket