- Step 1: Fit your home with safety features Fit your home with solid doors, heavy duty locks, and window locks.
- Step 2: Secure your lock plates Secure the heavy duty lock plates in your doors with four three-inch screws.
- Step 3: Keep doors and windows locked Keep all doors, windows, and your garage locked at all times.
- TIP: Do not keep a spare key over the door or under the door mat.
- Step 4: Use the peephole Look through the door’s peephole before opening your door.
- Step 5: Do not open the door for strangers Do not open the door to strangers or solicitors.
- TIP: If your home is invaded, do not fight back unless your life is in danger. Cooperate and remain calm.
- Step 6: Call the police If someone at your door acts suspicious, call the police.
- FACT: Robberies of U.S. homes rose 29 percent between 2000 and 2004, 9.7 percent in 2005, and 8 percent in 2006.
You Will Need
- Solid doors
- Heavy duty door locks
- Window locks
- 4 3-inch screws per door
- A peephole
- A telephone