- Step 1: Relax Treat yourself to a relaxing day at the spa, or go to the movies with a friend. Get plenty of rest, and lie on your left side when in bed.
- Step 2: Attend scheduled appointments Talk to your doctor about any concerns. Regular checkups will monitor your blood pressure and urine. Take prescribed medicines as directed.
- Step 3: Monitor weight gain Monitor your weight. If you begin your pregnancy at a normal weight, you should gain 25 to 35 pounds in nine months. Too much weight gain can give you high blood pressure.
- Step 4: Exercise Follow a safe exercise regimen. Thirty minutes a day is recommended. Consult with your doctor before attempting any exercise plan.
- TIP: Yoga strengthens and tones your body while teaching relaxation and breathing techniques.
- Step 5: Eat healthy food Eat healthy. Snack on fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water. Lower your intake of sugar and sodium.
- FACT: In the U.S. 31 percent of all births are via Cesarean delivery.
You Will Need
- Time to relax
- Scheduled doctor appointments
- An exercise plan
- A healthy diet