- Step 1: Eat tomatoes with broccoli Eat cooked tomatoes with broccoli. One study indicated that eating those two foods at the same time may enhance their cancer-fighting abilities.
- Step 2: Throw oranges into your salad Throw oranges into your salad, or cook bell peppers with your greens. Both are good sources of vitamin C, which helps your body absorb the iron in leafy veggies like spinach, Swiss chard, and kale.
- Step 3: Put olive oil on vegetables Eat your vegetables with a little fat; it helps release their antioxidants. Stick to unsaturated fat – like the kind found in olive oil, nuts, and avocados.
- TIP: Skip the fat-free salad dressings; they don't enhance your greens' nutrients, and most are loaded with sugar and artificial additives.
- Step 4: Cook onions with garlic Cook onions with garlic; it makes the onions' antioxidants more powerful.
- Step 5: Spice up your barbecues Marinate meat headed for the barbecue with lots of herbs and spices; they can reduce the carcinogenic compounds grilling can cause.
- TIP: Oregano has the most antioxidants, followed by marjoram, dill, thyme, and rosemary.
- Step 6: Follow this formula Make nutritious eating automatic by including vegetables or fruits in three different colors – plus one healthy fat – at each meal.
- FACT: Five of the healthiest foods are almonds, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, and sweet potatoes.
You Will Need
- Tomatoes and broccoli
- Vitamin C-rich foods
- Iron-rich foods
- Olive oil
- or avocados
- Onions and garlic
- Herbs and spices