- Step 1: Take a shower or bath Take a shower or bath the morning of your interview. You’ll arrive looking and smelling fresh and clean.
- Step 2: Use deodorant Apply a good deodorant. Chances are you will be nervous and will perspire, so be prepared. Beware of strong cologne or perfume. Use a little or none at all.
- Step 3: Brush your teeth Brush your teeth and use mouthwash to ensure fresh breath. If you have stained or yellow teeth, use a tooth whitener.
- TIP: Keep breath mints or fast-dissolving strips handy and pop one a few minutes before your interview.
- Step 4: Tend to your face Shave, if you’re a guy, or trim your moustache or beard. Ladies, keep your makeup light and natural looking and limit jewelry or wear none.
- TIP: Remove any visible body piercings and cover obvious tattoos.
- Step 5: Keep hair neat Keep your hair neat with a comb or brush and wear a style that is off your face.
- Step 6: Trim fingernails Trim your fingernails and make sure they look neat and clean. Forgo dark nail polish in favor of pale, neutral colors. Get a manicure for best results.
- FACT: A survey reported that 46 percent of small companies admitted that looks are sometimes the most important factor in hiring a candidate.
You Will Need
- A shower or bath
- A toothbrush and toothpaste
- Tooth whitener
- Shaving cream and a razor
- A comb or brush
- A manicure
- Breath mints or strips (optional)