- Step 1: Go to the dentist Visit your dentist if you experience burning in your mouth, throat, or tongue. Typically, symptoms are mild in the morning but gradually worsen as the day progresses.
- Step 2: Use alpha lipoic acid Use alpha lipoic acid, or ALA. The burning sensation may be caused by damaged nerves; ALA neutralizes and prevents further damage to nerve cells.
- TIP: A new form of treatment involves placing an electrode on the affected nerve to block pain receptors.
- Step 3: Rinse with hot pepper sauce and water Rinse your mouth with water and a few drops of hot pepper sauce four times daily. After a few days, the mixture will start to neutralize the burn.
- Step 4: Ask about anti-anxiety and depression medications Talk to your doctor about anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications. Researchers have found a strong correlation between people with the syndrome and disorders such as anxiety attacks and obsessive compulsive disorder. Relaxing the nervous system may help calm the burning.
- Step 5: Gargle with milk of magnesia Mix water with the milk of magnesia and gargle twice daily. Coating the tongue with milk of magnesia stimulates touch and taste receptors, which inhibit pain nerve fibers.
- FACT: Seventy percent of people who suffer from burning mouth syndrome also suffer from migraines.
You Will Need
- A dentist
- Alpha lipoic acid
- Hot pepper sauce
- Anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications
- 2 tbsp. milk of magnesia