- Step 1: Tell roommate Tell your roommate that you will be bringing a date home. Hopefully, this will ensure that you don’t happen upon any unwanted surprises.
- Step 2: Establish a code Establish a code that you’ll use when you want the roommate to excuse himself. Ideally, it should be a phrase that will flow smoothly into the conversation, like, 'Would you like something to eat?'
- TIP: Speaking of food, make sure your roommate knows that the fine Champagne and goose liver pate in the fridge are not for him.
- Step 3: Forewarn your date Forewarn your date about any of your housemate’s weird traits and tics. It helps if they’re prepared for the worst.
- TIP: This is your opportunity to blame anything embarrassing about your dwelling—like the stained carpeting or garbage bin brimming with beer cans—on your roomie.
- Step 4: Find things in common Come up with a few things your date and your roommate have in common so you won’t face awkward silence once the introductions are made.
- TIP: Have roommate present snacks & drinks Have your roommate present the snacks and drinks with an ease that says, 'We enjoy this civilized ritual every night.'
- Step 5: Laugh at roomie's expense Enjoy a few laughs at your roomie’s expense when he leaves the room. Unwarranted cruelty is always a great way to bond.
- FACT: In one poll, 12% of renters said they liked having a roommate so much they wouldn’t rent without one.
You Will Need
- Careful planning
- Diplomatic skills
- A little luck
- Some snacks and drinks to offer your guest