- Step 1: Cut striker Cut the striker strip from the matchbox with the scissors, peel the cardboard from the back of the strip, and fold it in half lengthwise.
- Step 2: Place on tap Place the folded strip on top of a water tap, and run the cold water.
- TIP: Run the tap for a while to make sure the water is very cold.
- Step 3: Burn the strip Set fire to either end of the strip with the lighter. Then burn along the length of each side.
- Step 4: Remove Throw the strip into the sink. When it's extinguished, turn the water off. Some striker material will have turned into a thick brownish liquid that has settled onto the tap. Rub some of the goo from the tap onto your thumb.
- Step 5: Perform the trick Announce that you will make smoke magically rise from your fingers. Then firmly rub your thumb and finger together, creating wisps of smoke between them.
- Step 6: Reload Go back to the tap and get more of the goo on your fingers when the smoke has stopped to repeat the trick.
- FACT: About 371 billion cigarettes were consumed in the United States in 2006.
You Will Need
- A matchbox
- Access to a sink
- A lighter
- One or more spectators