- Step 1: Position feet Stand with your feet about three to four feet apart.
- Step 2: Reach out arms Reach your arms out to the sides, parallel to the ground, palms down.
- Step 3: Rotate feet Turn your right foot out 90-degrees toward the right so that it is facing directly toward the right side of your mat and turn your left foot about 45 degrees toward the right.
- Step 4: Bend knee Bend your right knee, lunging to the right until it is directly aligned over your right foot.
- Step 5: Rest forearm on thigh Rest your right forearm on your right thigh so your chest and head continue to face forward.
- Step 6: Raise left arm Raise your left arm up straight up with your palm facing in toward your head, then bring your arm alongside your left ear, lengthening to create a straight line from your left heel through your left fingertips.
- Step 7: Rotate head Rotate your head up to look toward your left upper arm.
- Step 8: Drop right hand Drop your right hand to the floor on the outside of the right foot.
- TIP: You can support yourself on your fingertips, or for a deeper stretch, put your palm flat on the ground.
- Step 9: Turn chest up Press the outer edge of the left foot into the ground and try to turn your chest up for a deeper stretch through the side of your body.
- TIP: To vary the stretch, grasp your elbows behind your back with your opposite hands.
- Step 10: Release pose Release the pose by raising your torso back up with your arms reaching out to your sides.
- Step 11: Repeat pose Turn your feet to the left, and repeat the pose on the left side, hold it for the same number of breaths as you did on the right.
- Step 12: Release pose Release the pose, by raising your torso back up with your arms reaching out to your sides. Marvel at your exquisitely lengthened torso.
- FACT: A recent study found that out of every 6 back, shoulder, and neck injuries suffered by flight attendants, 1 is caused by grappling with an overhead bin.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded blanket